Staying Motivated While Running

Thursday, March 5, 2015

I touched on my jog in yesterday's #4WeeksFit post, but what I didn't say was how during the whole entire time I was planning my next post. I've said it before, and I will reiterate it til I'm blue in the face, I am suuuch an amateur runner. I won't even pretend like I'm a crazy superstar at it. I am very content with my 12 minute miles thank you very much :)

Sidenote: I was so incredibly happy when Jen Widerstrom (The Biggest Loser, Season 16 Trainer and probably someone I look up to the most) admitted she hated running. Whew! I am not alone!! Okay, okay I don't haaate it, I just think it's boring. For some people that's there escape, and seriously, hats off to them for sure.

Anyways, so as I was running I thought to myself, if I can stay focused and motivated maybe I can give a few tips as to how. Before I knew it my brain was going, my feet were following, and I was at the beach in no time (well 20 minutes no time, but you get the gist ;)).

So here it is,

7 Easy Steps to Stay Motivated While Running 

1. Grab a Running Partner
Lately Emily and I have been going on runs together and it makes it so much easier! It's always nice to have someone else there to help set the pace. Say I'm gonna stay always two steps behind him/her, or I'm gonna aim to match their footing, you can even go as far as saying I'm gonna beat them up this hill this time! But just remember, make it fun and not competitive. No one likes running with an overly competitive person (at least not me).

2. Pump up the Volume, pump up the volume..!
That's right! Grab your headphones and go! In my opinion, nothing is more motivating then some pumped up music. iTunes Music, Spotify, Pandora, Songza...whatever app you chose all have some sort of workout playlists. If that doesn't help, nothing pumps me up more than a little Destiny's Child (or anything 90s for that matter). Or maybe music isn't really your thing? Audiobooks! Try to find someone with an engaging voice and not monotone. (Andy Cohen, anyone?!)
Also, I just found this really cool online Discount Running Store that has running accessories (i.e. phone holder and earbuds). Click here for the link!

**Sidenote: if you're training for a run of some sort, make sure you know the rules on music. One of my friends told me how he trained the whole time for a marathon with music and when he got to the race they didn't allow it because of the busy streets. BUMMER! Train how you race!**

3. Set Goals
When I say set goals, I mean during your run, so short and obtainable, not long term in this instance. If you're running on a busy street or something set landmark goals for yourself. For example, yesterday I told myself just to make it to each crosswalk. Before I knew it, I had already passed three and was halfway there.
Are you more of a treadmill runner? Most treadmills have a "performance" option that will show you a track. You can aim to sprint/jog based on where you are on the track. It's a great way to keep your brain occupied, and to strive to achieve your goals!

4. Zone Out
For me it's always best to think about how much running I'm not doing. Only because I feel like I've ran three miles, and I find out it's only been three-quarters of a mile, and I'm like well, a profane word would work great in this moment! Zone-out. Think about something that's gonna occupy your time. Do you have an interview coming up? Try and anticipate questions they'll ask an answer them in your head. Are you a blogger? Think of your next post ;) Something that takes your mind off of what you're really doing.

5. Track Your Run
There are so many apps out there that'll track how far you go, your average speed, etc. RunKeeper, Map My Run, Nike+Running (if you have the adapter) are all free in the Apple App Store! Also, if you have some sort of fitness band like a FitBit, Nike Fuel Band, Misfit Activity Tracker, Garmin, etc. they all come with a tracking method. It's always nice to see how much you've accomplished at the very end. Long or not, you put in the work and should be proud!

6. Practice Good Form//Exude Confidence 
Let me just say that running down Pacific Beach in San Diego isn't exactly the most comfortable. Man Bun central!! And ladies who just came out of yoga looking a million bucks. Okay guys, I'm really not dying on mile 2, don't worry.  I don't think exuding confidence is something you'll read in the latest Sports Medicine magazine, but this is just how my brain works. The more confident you are in yourself, the easier running will become. Go out there and say who cares who's looking at me! I'm doing this for me and only me! Knowing proper running form makes that even easier to do. Here's a lovely chart to help you out.
Click the link to make it bigger :)
7. Good Shoes
The last thing, and probably most important (it's my Athletic Training side talking) is having a good pair of running shoes. Nothing is a bigger bummer a run like having busted feet. Take a trip to your nearest running store and get your feet checked out. Know what your tendency is (are you over pronanted, supinated, flat footed, have high arches?). There is so much that goes into how feet are, and everything in your body stems from your feet. Pick out some good shoes, and break them in.

Hope this helps even just a little bit!
Happy Running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment